World Republic

Uniting All People!
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Anarcho-syndicalism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liche
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 4613
Join date : 2008-01-30
Age : 23
Location : USA-Virginia

PostSubject: Anarcho-syndicalism   Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:01 am

Wondering if any of you guys have heard of it, its got a pretty interesting history.

In 1912, for example, Eugene Debs (a founding member of the IWW) polled 6% of the popular vote as the Socialist Party presidential candidate - a significant portion of the popular vote considering that this was 8 years before the adoption of universal suffrage in the U.S. Some political scientists would, in part, attribute the lack of an American labor party to the single member plurality electoral system, which tends to favor a two-party system. This phenomenon is sometimes referred to as Duverger's law.

If you want to know more just let me know and I shall post it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.epol.forumotion.com
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:05 am

I know a bit about it and although it is a valid ideology I still prefer communism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Renegade_Kautsky
Worker of the World Republic
avatar

Posts : 363
Join date : 2008-02-16
Location : In the belly of the beast

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 am

Eugene Debs was a co-founder of the Socialist Party of America. I think your thinking of Joe Hill for the IWW.

That said,

WOBBLIES RULE!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattabesta
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 3936
Join date : 2007-12-23
Age : 22
Location : Iceland

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 am

Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Eugene Debs was a co-founder of the Socialist Party of America. I think your thinking of Joe Hill for the IWW.

That said,

WOBBLIES RULE!!

this is propaganda
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Pichunter.com
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:29 am

mattabesta wrote:
Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Eugene Debs was a co-founder of the Socialist Party of America. I think your thinking of Joe Hill for the IWW.

That said,

WOBBLIES RULE!!

this is propaganda

No its not, it really happened that way, well not literally but thats what the class struggle amounted to in the early 20th century.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
revolution
Member of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2007-10-15
Age : 23
Location : Yanqui central

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:56 am

mattabesta wrote:
Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Eugene Debs was a co-founder of the Socialist Party of America. I think your thinking of Joe Hill for the IWW.

That said,

WOBBLIES RULE!!

this is propaganda

So?

_________________
Not one step back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liche
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 4613
Join date : 2008-01-30
Age : 23
Location : USA-Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:49 am

Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Eugene Debs was a co-founder of the Socialist Party of America. I think your thinking of Joe Hill for the IWW.

That said,

WOBBLIES RULE!!


He was socialist but technically Most socialist organizations of that period emphasized the importance of political action through party organizations as a means of bringing about socialism. Although all syndicalists emphasize industrial organization, not all reject political action altogether. For example, De Leonists and some other Industrial Unionists advocate parallel organization both politically and industrially.

The basic principles of anarcho-syndicalism are:

Workers' solidarity

Workers’ solidarity means that anarcho-syndicalists believe all workers, no matter what their gender or ethnic group, are in a similar situation in regard to their bosses (class consciousness). Furthermore, it means that, in a capitalist system, any gains or losses made by some workers from or to bosses will eventually affect all workers. Therefore, to liberate themselves, all workers must support one another in their class conflict.

Direct action

Anarcho-syndicalists believe that only direct action — that is, action concentrated on directly attaining a goal, as opposed to indirect action, such as electing a representative to a government position — will allow workers to liberate themselves.

Workers' self-management

Moreover, anarcho-syndicalists believe that workers’ organizations — the organizations that struggle against the wage system, and which, in anarcho-syndicalist theory, will eventually form the basis of a new society — should be self-managing. They should not have bosses or "business agents"; rather, the workers should be able to make all the decisions that affect them themselves.

Rudolf Rocker was one of the most popular voices in the anarcho-syndicalist movement. He dedicated himself to the organisation of Jewish immigrant workers in London's East End and led the 1912 garment workers strike. He outlined a view of the origins of the movement, what it sought, and why it was important to the future of labour in his 1938 pamphlet Anarcho-Syndicalism.

In his article Anarchism and Anarcho-Syndicalism, Rocker points out that the anarcho-syndicalist union has a dual purpose, "1. To enforce the demands of the producers for the safeguarding and raising of their standard of living; 2. To acquaint the workers with the technical management of production and economic life in general and prepare them to take the socio-economic organism into their own hands and shape it according to socialist principles." In short, laying the foundations of the new society "within the shell of the old." Up to the First World War and the Bolshevik Revolution, anarcho-syndicalist unions and organizations were the dominant actors in the revolutionary left.The anarcho-syndicalist orientation of many early American labor unions arguably played an important role in the formation of the American political spectrum, most significantly of the Industrial Workers of the World. The United States is the only industrialized ("first world") country that does not have a major labor-based political party. This has not always been the case. In 1912, for example, Eugene Debs (a founding member of the IWW) polled 6% of the popular vote as the Socialist Party presidential candidate - a significant portion of the popular vote considering that this was 8 years before the adoption of universal suffrage in the U.S. Some political scientists would, in part, attribute the lack of an American labor party to the single member plurality electoral system, which tends to favor a two-party system. This phenomenon is sometimes referred to as Duverger's law.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.epol.forumotion.com
Liche
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 4613
Join date : 2008-01-30
Age : 23
Location : USA-Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:50 am

sorry that was so long Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.epol.forumotion.com
mattabesta
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 3936
Join date : 2007-12-23
Age : 22
Location : Iceland

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:49 pm

oligarch wrote:
mattabesta wrote:
Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Eugene Debs was a co-founder of the Socialist Party of America. I think your thinking of Joe Hill for the IWW.

That said,

WOBBLIES RULE!!

this is propaganda

No its not, it really happened that way, well not literally but thats what the class struggle amounted to in the early 20th century.
more like late 19th
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Pichunter.com
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:19 am

mattabesta wrote:
oligarch wrote:
mattabesta wrote:
Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Eugene Debs was a co-founder of the Socialist Party of America. I think your thinking of Joe Hill for the IWW.

That said,

WOBBLIES RULE!!

this is propaganda

No its not, it really happened that way, well not literally but thats what the class struggle amounted to in the early 20th century.
more like late 19th

Both and its still like that to some degree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:58 am

mattabesta wrote:

Git!: (1919) Depicting Uncle Same kicking the International Workers of the World out of America
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattabesta
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 3936
Join date : 2007-12-23
Age : 22
Location : Iceland

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:34 pm

oligarch wrote:
mattabesta wrote:

Git!: (1919) Depicting Uncle Same kicking the International Workers of the World out of America
It's acctully a propaganda man
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Pichunter.com
Sinjoro Q
New Friend


Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-03-16
Age : 29
Location : Seville, Spain, World

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:46 pm

In Spain, at the beginning of the 20th century, Anarcho-syndicalism was the main worker ideology. The National Confederation of Labour (CNT) raised the million of affiliated (in a country of 20 million) during the Civil War of 1936 becoming the biggest union.

The CNT leaded a revolution in the northeast of Spain (Aragon and Catalonia) in which the production was put under the workers' management, money was abolished and a true libertarian society appeared.

However, the experiment did not last neither a year. In May, the republican government (influenced by the Communist Party) repressed the anarchist regions and killed hundreds of them.

Later, when fascists overcome, the only who was still fighting were the few anarcho-syndicalists who went to the mountains and formed guerrillas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattabesta
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 3936
Join date : 2007-12-23
Age : 22
Location : Iceland

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 am

Sinjoro Q wrote:
In Spain, at the beginning of the 20th century, Anarcho-syndicalism was the main worker ideology. The National Confederation of Labour (CNT) raised the million of affiliated (in a country of 20 million) during the Civil War of 1936 becoming the biggest union.

The CNT leaded a revolution in the northeast of Spain (Aragon and Catalonia) in which the production was put under the workers' management, money was abolished and a true libertarian society appeared.

However, the experiment did not last neither a year. In May, the republican government (influenced by the Communist Party) repressed the anarchist regions and killed hundreds of them.

Later, when fascists overcome, the only who was still fighting were the few anarcho-syndicalists who went to the mountains and formed guerrillas.

shit how long was the civil war?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Pichunter.com
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:38 am

mattabesta wrote:
Sinjoro Q wrote:
In Spain, at the beginning of the 20th century, Anarcho-syndicalism was the main worker ideology. The National Confederation of Labour (CNT) raised the million of affiliated (in a country of 20 million) during the Civil War of 1936 becoming the biggest union.

The CNT leaded a revolution in the northeast of Spain (Aragon and Catalonia) in which the production was put under the workers' management, money was abolished and a true libertarian society appeared.

However, the experiment did not last neither a year. In May, the republican government (influenced by the Communist Party) repressed the anarchist regions and killed hundreds of them.

Later, when fascists overcome, the only who was still fighting were the few anarcho-syndicalists who went to the mountains and formed guerrillas.

shit how long was the civil war?

About 3 years I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sinjoro Q
New Friend


Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-03-16
Age : 29
Location : Seville, Spain, World

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:52 pm

It's correct. It started July 18, 1936 and ended April 1st, 1939, when fascist army occupied Madrid.

I don't know much about the worker movement in the US but it seems to be rather different than in Europe. I mean, was Debs an anarchist who was candidate for the socialist party? It sounds bizarre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:00 am

Sinjoro Q wrote:
It's correct. It started July 18, 1936 and ended April 1st, 1939, when fascist army occupied Madrid.

I don't know much about the worker movement in the US but it seems to be rather different than in Europe. I mean, was Debs an anarchist who was candidate for the socialist party? It sounds bizarre.

It sounds bizarre but made snense given the recent history of the labor movement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liche
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 4613
Join date : 2008-01-30
Age : 23
Location : USA-Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:43 am

oligarch wrote:
Sinjoro Q wrote:
It's correct. It started July 18, 1936 and ended April 1st, 1939, when fascist army occupied Madrid.

I don't know much about the worker movement in the US but it seems to be rather different than in Europe. I mean, was Debs an anarchist who was candidate for the socialist party? It sounds bizarre.

It sounds bizarre but made snense given the recent history of the labor movement.
Yea, it was founded by socialists....like I was saying earlier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.epol.forumotion.com
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
avatar

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:56 am

Liche wrote:
oligarch wrote:
Sinjoro Q wrote:
It's correct. It started July 18, 1936 and ended April 1st, 1939, when fascist army occupied Madrid.

I don't know much about the worker movement in the US but it seems to be rather different than in Europe. I mean, was Debs an anarchist who was candidate for the socialist party? It sounds bizarre.

It sounds bizarre but made snense given the recent history of the labor movement.
Yea, it was founded by socialists....like I was saying earlier.

And anarchists(Haymarket Riot). But thats not the only time the US labor movement had bizzare leadershi[p, during the Cold War the leadership of most unions were far-right reactionaries with strong ant-worker and pro-capitalism positions which were the official stances of the unions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Renegade_Kautsky
Worker of the World Republic
avatar

Posts : 363
Join date : 2008-02-16
Location : In the belly of the beast

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:17 am

Sinjoro Q wrote:
It's correct. It started July 18, 1936 and ended April 1st, 1939, when fascist army occupied Madrid.

I don't know much about the worker movement in the US but it seems to be rather different than in Europe. I mean, was Debs an anarchist who was candidate for the socialist party? It sounds bizarre.

He helped organize the IWW but was there was no "Anarcho-Syndicalist" party. So he ran on the Socialist ticket.



Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steel
Pioneer Leader


Posts : 92
Join date : 2008-04-02
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:45 am

From an anarchist point of view, anarcho-syndicalism is certainly a positive trend in revolutionary syndicalism, and trade unionism in general. In some respects, however, it is considered lacking (from the Platform):
Quote :
Anarcho-syndicalism, which attempts to firmly establish anarchist ideas within the left wing of revolutionary syndicalism through the creation of anarchist-type unions, represents a step forward in this respect, but it has not yet improved on its amateurish methods. This is because anarcho-syndicalism does not link the drive to "anarchize" the syndicalist movement with the organization of anarchist forces outside of that movement.

Quote :
He helped organize the IWW but was there was no "Anarcho-Syndicalist" party. So he ran on the Socialist ticket.

I was under the impression that he was involved with the Social Democrats prior to participating in the organisation of the IWW.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liche
Chairman of the Supreme Council
avatar

Posts : 4613
Join date : 2008-01-30
Age : 23
Location : USA-Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:10 am

Steel wrote:
From an anarchist point of view, anarcho-syndicalism is certainly a positive trend in revolutionary syndicalism, and trade unionism in general. In some respects, however, it is considered lacking (from the Platform):
Quote :
Anarcho-syndicalism, which attempts to firmly establish anarchist ideas within the left wing of revolutionary syndicalism through the creation of anarchist-type unions, represents a step forward in this respect, but it has not yet improved on its amateurish methods. This is because anarcho-syndicalism does not link the drive to "anarchize" the syndicalist movement with the organization of anarchist forces outside of that movement.

Quote :
He helped organize the IWW but was there was no "Anarcho-Syndicalist" party. So he ran on the Socialist ticket.

I was under the impression that he was involved with the Social Democrats prior to participating in the organisation of the IWW.

Thats actually a good point. I know he was in the election after he helped the IWW but, easily could have been a Social Democrat before that. I know he was one then, but he could have been an active one is what I am saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.epol.forumotion.com
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag


Posts : 2650
Join date : 2008-04-05
Age : 22
Location : springfield, il

PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Quote :
I know a bit about it and although it is a valid ideology I still prefer communism.
It is respectable for a utopian ideology but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is valid. Council communism, which I support, draws heavily from anarcho-syndicalism, and is probably the most libertarian form of Marxism.

Council communists, like anarchosyndicalists, argue for the abolition of capitalism in favor of a society based on workplace democracy. The only real difference (other than conucil communism being marxist) is that syndicalists support organization through unions and council communists don't. A good explanation of council communism can be found in this article by Anton Pannekoek:http://www.marxists.org/archive/pannekoe/1936/councils.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Anarcho-syndicalism   

Back to top Go down
 
Anarcho-syndicalism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Corporatism vs. Syndicalism
» National Syndicalism
» National Syndicalism
» Leaflet: An introduction to National-Syndicalism

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World Republic :: Parliament :: Politics-
Jump to: