World Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World Republic

Uniting All People!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Universe

Go down 
+5
mattabesta
Liche
CoolKidX
Tyrlop
Black_Cross
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tyrong Kojy
Member of the Supreme Council
Tyrong Kojy

The Universe - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 5:06 am

First, what do you mean "cosmic egg"? Second, what precicely do you think the big bang IS? Or was.
Back to top Go down
alexCCCP-RUS-54321
World Republic Party Member

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:05 am

Tyrong Kojy wrote:
First, what do you mean "cosmic egg"? Second, what precicely do you think the big bang IS? Or was.
"It is believed that the entire mass of the universe was compressed into a singularity, from which it expanded to its current state (the Big Bang), the so-called cosmic egg."

What do you mean?
Back to top Go down
WeiWuWei

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 am

The Cosmos is constantly expanding every hour, of every minute, of every second. Technically, it doesn't end.

Also, space is curved, basically.

EDIT: All of my science knowledge comes from Carl Sagan's Cosmos, so don't quote me on this shit.
Back to top Go down
https://worldrepublic.forumotion.com/groupcp.forum?g=11
alexCCCP-RUS-54321

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 7:25 am

I have question- if the big bang did happen, are planets, stars, minerals, still being created as we speak, as you said, "light energy" being transformed into mass?

if we can ever travel faster than teh spead of light (which Einstein says we can't) we will be able to view long into the past, even maybe the earth being formed. The light should, theoretically, still be travelling into space. If we could travel far enough at faster than light speed, we could travel far enough the point where we can see the light that was emitted- just like how right now we are seeing the past of stars- the stars we see outside, the time it took teh light from teh stars to reach us is 10,000 years.

Btw, I do not take any credit for what I just said, I never though of it. Someone told me it.
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 am

Quote :
"It is believed that the entire mass of the universe was compressed into a singularity, from which it expanded to its current state (the Big Bang), the so-called cosmic egg."
Well, the mass was energy, but sure. Personally I don;t like the term "egg" since it is anything but, in either shape or form, unless said egg has burst violently, but sure.

Quote :
I have question- if the big bang did happen, are planets, stars, minerals, still being created as we speak, as you said, "light energy" being transformed into mass?
Uh... they HAVE mass. Light is being transfered into matter, and matter has mass.

Quote :
if we can ever travel faster than teh spead of light (which Einstein says we can't) we will be able to view long into the past, even maybe the earth being formed. The light should, theoretically, still be travelling into space. If we could travel far enough at faster than light speed, we could travel far enough the point where we can see the light that was emitted- just like how right now we are seeing the past of stars- the stars we see outside, the time it took teh light from teh stars to reach us is 10,000 years.
If we could travel faster than light, sure, yeah. Sounds right. Beat the light to the camera, as it were.
Back to top Go down
Black_Cross
Chairman of the WR Committee
Black_Cross

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:54 pm

alexCCCP-RUS-54321 wrote:
It was somewhat relevant, it's not like I'm posting whole posts dedicated to degrading others. How is it more irrelevant than CKX talking about me in threads like Stalin's 130th birthday.

It was completely irrelevant.

I haven't been observing the conversation in that thread; Liche has, you could have asked him to resolve the issue.

/endconversation

Quote :
The Cosmos is constantly expanding every hour, of every minute, of every second. Technically, it doesn't end.

Wouldn't it end where it hasn't yet expanded? Unless we consider the void of space to be a part of the universe.

This also takes us to the question what happens when (if) the universe can't expand anymore. My friend told me a little about Hawkings' theory, and some other guy who predicted the universe would collapse or something. My friend thinks that "time" will reverse... There's a lot of crazy theories out there.

Quote :
Also, space is curved, basically.

I think you're saying what i was trying to say. Maybe i missed the mark. Like if we were to imagine ourselves inside a giant, expanding, possibly warped globe, right?
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Quote :
Wouldn't it end where it hasn't yet expanded? Unless we consider the void of space to be a part of the universe.
This would likely just be an argument of terminology, ultimately.
Back to top Go down
WeiWuWei

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 7:53 am

Like I said, I don't know nothing about nothing. But I can tell you this, BC: your friend isn't too far off. I just wouldn't use the world "collapse." Check out one of the many interviews that The Daily Show has with Neil deGrasse Tyson. He explains this idea briefly in one of them.

Also, Carl Sagan has a short segment in his TV series that addresses the whole "curved" thing. Basically, he's saying that space exists in four dimensions. But I'll let him explain it.
Back to top Go down
https://worldrepublic.forumotion.com/groupcp.forum?g=11
alexCCCP-RUS-54321

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 7:47 am

You mean like the universe expands to a certain point, until "its own gravity" causes it to collapse on itself (big crunch)?

I mean, how exactly do you turn light into compounds like oxygen? And aren't photons massless?
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:43 am

As I said to you, Alex, in our conversation, "Long, complicated proceses that I, personally do not grasp."
Back to top Go down
alexCCCP-RUS-54321

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 am

Well, matter decays back into light all the time. Also, is plants using sunlight to make sugars a comparison?
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 am

Not QUITE, but I suppose, in a simplistic, VERY simplistic, way.

But it is not at all done in the same proceses.
Back to top Go down
alexCCCP-RUS-54321

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 am

Of course not the same process. But it just shows light can be turned into other things, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Black_Cross
Chairman of the WR Committee
Black_Cross

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:39 am

WeiWuWei wrote:
Like I said, I don't know nothing about nothing. But I can tell you this, BC: your friend isn't too far off. I just wouldn't use the world "collapse." Check out one of the many interviews that The Daily Show has with Neil deGrasse Tyson. He explains this idea briefly in one of them.

Also, Carl Sagan has a short segment in his TV series that addresses the whole "curved" thing. Basically, he's saying that space exists in four dimensions. But I'll let him explain it.

Thanks. I took a look, and its trippy. The part where the 2D square was floating reminded me of acid trips, and what i imagine taking dmt is like.

Couldn't find any youtube videos of DeGrasse on the daily show though.
Back to top Go down
Liche
Chairman of the Supreme Council
Liche

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:38 am

alexCCCP-RUS-54321 wrote:
They exist, but its like they don't???? energy?
Nothing exists silly human, when will your species learn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.epol.forumotion.com
Zealot_Kommunizma
Hero of the World Republic

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Alex, would you be so kind as to explain me what they get in particle accelerators?
Back to top Go down
http://unitedrevleftfront.forumotion.com/
alexCCCP-RUS-54321

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:34 am

Zealot_Kommunizma wrote:
Alex, would you be so kind as to explain me what they get in particle accelerators?
? What's your point?
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:54 am

I think he means that it's one thing they can do with particle accelerators.
Back to top Go down
Zealot_Kommunizma

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:10 am

Tyrong Kojy wrote:
I think he means that it's one thing they can do with particle accelerators.

Yup.

So would you be so kind Shurik?
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 8:12 am

What's that?
Back to top Go down
Zealot_Kommunizma

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 am

Tyrong Kojy wrote:
What's that?

What's what? You mean "Shurik"? It's a way of saying "Aleksandr" in Russia. It's like "Johnny" for "John".
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 am

Oh. A nickname.
Back to top Go down
alexCCCP-RUS-54321

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Its a diminutive version of the names Alexander and Alexandra.

A cathode ray tube is an example of a particle accelerator. And hey look, I'm looking at one right now! What do I see? What is this cathode ray tube doing?

I hope this answers your question.
Back to top Go down
Tyrong Kojy
Tyrong Kojy

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:59 am

If by particle accelerator you mean a machine smashing various particles together at incredible speeds, then yes, your computer is a particle accelerator, though I wasn't aware a computer did that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Universe   The Universe - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Universe
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next