World Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World Republic

Uniting All People!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solipsism

Go down 
+3
ilych
oligarch
Gorbachev
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gorbachev
Young Pioneer
Gorbachev

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 2:27 am

Denial of the materialist existence, in itself, is not enough to be a solipsist. Possibly the most controversial feature of the solipsistic world view is the denial of the existence of other minds. We can never directly know another's mental stability. Qualia, or personal experience, is private and incorrigible. Another person's experience can be known only by analogy.

I am wondering if anyone else here has ever thought of this? I had thought about it long before I knew the name for it. I guess if anyone ever truly believed in it, they'd go on doing whatever they please. I suppose the slightest bit of doubt keeps one from going insane.
Back to top Go down
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
oligarch

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 4:59 am

Gorbachev wrote:
Denial of the materialist existence, in itself, is not enough to be a solipsist. Possibly the most controversial feature of the solipsistic world view is the denial of the existence of other minds. We can never directly know another's mental stability. Qualia, or personal experience, is private and incorrigible. Another person's experience can be known only by analogy.

I am wondering if anyone else here has ever thought of this? I had thought about it long before I knew the name for it. I guess if anyone ever truly believed in it, they'd go on doing whatever they please. I suppose the slightest bit of doubt keeps one from going insane.

Solipsism is for pricks.
Back to top Go down
ilych
Red Army Recruit
ilych

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:35 am

oligarch wrote:
Gorbachev wrote:

Solipsism is for pricks.
QFT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gorbachev
Young Pioneer
Gorbachev

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 4:21 am

I guess that was as in depth a reply as anyone could expect from such deep thinkers.
Back to top Go down
oligarch
oligarch

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 am

Gorbachev wrote:
I guess that was as in depth a reply as anyone could expect from such deep thinkers.

Seriously though, I don't think its possible for anyone to actually be a solipsist, there are too many paradoxes involved.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachev
Young Pioneer
Gorbachev

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 7:10 am

Here is a fun mock interview with a solipsist.

http://www.nassauweekly.com/view_article.php?id=691

Here is my favourite part of the interview:

"Yes. For instance, from my solipsism, it follows that I can never die. This is because I can never observe my own death. And, since the universe consists entirely of my own observations, it follows that my demise could never occur."

Anyway, I am curious what paradoxes you see in solipsism?

For me, it's more of a fleeting thought that passes rather quickly, kind of like the inspiration that hangs for a few hours after watching a touching movie. So, I am not a solipsist.
Back to top Go down
oligarch
oligarch

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 8:04 am

Gorbachev wrote:
Here is a fun mock interview with a solipsist.

http://www.nassauweekly.com/view_article.php?id=691

Here is my favourite part of the interview:

"Yes. For instance, from my solipsism, it follows that I can never die. This is because I can never observe my own death. And, since the universe consists entirely of my own observations, it follows that my demise could never occur."

Anyway, I am curious what paradoxes you see in solipsism?

For me, it's more of a fleeting thought that passes rather quickly, kind of like the inspiration that hangs for a few hours after watching a touching movie. So, I am not a solipsist.

Haha, I've read that before and I believe it mentions one such paradox in which since everything and everyone is a figment of his imagination, including those who do not believe in solipsism(i.e. everyone else), he does does not believe in his own solipsism.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachev
Young Pioneer
Gorbachev

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 10:36 pm

I forgot you use StumbleUpon also. It's great, eh.
Back to top Go down
mattabesta
Chairman of the Supreme Council
mattabesta

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 11:52 pm

Gorbachev wrote:

I've thought that too but seems to unrealistic.
Back to top Go down
http://Pichunter.com
oligarch
oligarch

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 3:58 am

mattabesta wrote:
Gorbachev wrote:

Reality not existing is unrealistic indeed.
Back to top Go down
Gorbachev
Young Pioneer
Gorbachev

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:16 am

oligarch wrote:
mattabesta wrote:
Gorbachev wrote:

Reality not existing is unrealistic indeed.

The only part I had thought of was that only my mind existed. Indeed, something as consistent as realitiy is hard to imagine one's mind creating.
Back to top Go down
themacintrasher
Pioneer
themacintrasher

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 am

oligarch wrote:
Gorbachev wrote:

Solipsism is for pricks.
Indeed
Back to top Go down
Liche
Liche

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 am

oligarch wrote:
Solipsism is for pricks.

lol I agree, their just Nihilist wannabes, Nihilism makes a lot more sense tho.
Back to top Go down
http://www.epol.forumotion.com
mattabesta
mattabesta

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 pm

well you can't really know that the world isn't a big robot.
Back to top Go down
oligarch
oligarch

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 12:18 am

mattabesta wrote:

No, but by that same logic you can not disprove the theory that the earth is a flat plate supported by the back a a giant tortoise which is a part of an infinite tower of tortoises.
Back to top Go down
mattabesta
mattabesta

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 12:53 am

oligarch wrote:
mattabesta wrote:

No, but by that same logic you can not disprove the theory that the earth is a flat plate supported by the back a a giant tortoise which is a part of an infinite tower of tortoises.
true
Back to top Go down
Liche
Liche

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:34 am

mattabesta wrote:
You can't, but I can. Very Happy

And by the way, it's only one tortoise, but scientists aren't positive that it's not a turtle or an alien being. (more bull sh!t.....) (more bull sh!t.....) (more bull sh!t.....) etc....
Back to top Go down
http://www.epol.forumotion.com

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 7:31 am

To think about stuff like that is a sign on intelligence and some never think about it. strange right? But to believe it is completely different lol
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 am

There's no difference between living in a vat and this world so there's no reason to waste time worrying about it.
Back to top Go down

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 1:21 am

Pannekoek wrote:
There's no difference between living in a vat and this world so there's no reason to waste time worrying about it.
Like I said to ponder on it is a sign of intelligence, yo9u dismiss stuff way to quickly and seem extreamly closed minded
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 1:31 am

That;s like debating someone wether an undetectable invisible intangible leprechaun is living on your shoulder. Straight up retarded.
Back to top Go down

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 6:18 am

Pannekoek wrote:
That;s like debating someone wether an undetectable invisible intangible leprechaun is living on your shoulder. Straight up retarded.
Its not even remotely like that, the fact you dont see the importance in your own existence and compare it to a leprechaun only furthers to show your ignorance.
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 2:25 am

What's the difference? the leprechaun is indetectable. the brainvat is too. same thing. only an ignoramus can fail to see this fact. It is not even debatable, it is a pure and simple fact.
Back to top Go down

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 5:18 am

Pannekoek wrote:
What's the difference? the leprechaun is indetectable. the brainvat is too. same thing. only an ignoramus can fail to see this fact. It is not even debatable, it is a pure and simple fact.
Maybe its just my overpowering left brain, I think very abstract, maybe you are only analytical
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 2:49 pm

I tend to analyze things unbiasedly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Solipsism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solipsism   Solipsism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solipsism