World Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World Republic

Uniting All People!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WW2

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mattabesta
Chairman of the Supreme Council
mattabesta

WW2 Empty
PostSubject: WW2   WW2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 8:58 pm

today according to many historians WW2 started, I personally disagree I think it started with the Japanese invasion of China in 1937.
The question I wanted to ask is how you or your family is connected to WW2, what happened to your family in ww2?
I live in Iceland so basically a few of my relatives died in the Atlantic, Iceland actually lost a larger portion of it's population than the US during the war due to U-boat attacks. Also I think my grandfather is just a few of the ppl still alive today that saw the Hood Explode. The only person I know that was a soldier during WW2 is a relative of mine that emigrated to Canada in the 30's and enlisted in the army and fought in Normandy, he never talks to anyone about it though. Also although not m,y family my neighbour was the only Icelander to be attacked by the Luftwaffe, in 1943 he was 9 I think a patrol aircraft dropped bombs in a harbor on the eastern side of iceland, one blew up near him and he was blinded and lost an arm, pretty sad to see him.
Back to top Go down
http://Pichunter.com
Tyrlop
Chairman of the WR Committee

WW2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW2   WW2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 pm

my grand uncle was one one of the first allied parachutters, he was dropped in sicily and was shoot in the shoulder, he later came back and became a bus driver untill he died.
i also have a far related SS, he ended in jail after the war, we dont speak about him but his is far related.
my grandmothers brother was a sailor, just before world war two he was in the USA with his ship, then the war broke out, and his ship transported supplies for the allies.
my grandmother once saw a dead pilots hand on the beach, after he was shot down.
Back to top Go down
CoolKidX
CoolKidX

WW2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW2   WW2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:02 am

Let's see. My grandmother and her family fled from Germany to The Netherlands, started a store there, then Germans came to Holland, but they were still alive, gladly. And every time the nazi's came to get her father she hide him and said he wasnt there since it was every time a other guy asking for him. So yeah Germans fleeing to Holland on my mother's side.
Now my father's side, my grandmother from that side lived in Arnhem, and lived there the whole war, kinda, she was at the battle of Arnhem, which was pretty messed up, with alot of losses and the failure of Mission market Garden, so she fled with 80 thousand other civilians. After the battle she returned and yeah, her three sisters died at the battle of Arnhem.
So on my grandfather's side of my fathers side, he was in Indonesia with his father as a pharmacist, since Indeonesia was a colony of Holland, Dutch people go there that time to do shit. So yeah, Japs attack Indeonesia and my grandfather was in a Jap Camp, he survived luckly.

And I got some far relatives in Canada, cuz Dutch girls married Canadian soldiers much when Holland was free n' shizzle.
Back to top Go down
Liche
Liche

WW2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW2   WW2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:57 am

My paternal grandfather enlisted in the army, he fought in many battles in the pacific and won several silver and bronze stars as well as I think a gold star. After the war, he was offered to be made a warrant officer, but he decided to leave the military and settle down in his home town, were he maried my grandma and had my dad. He died of a heart attack when my dad was 15, and my grandpa was 50.

My other grandpa ran away when he was 16, lied about his age and enlisted in the Navy. He was an Airplane mechanic in North Africa, were he got foot fungus and Malaria. I think he also served in the pacific after this. At the end of the war he got recomended for officer, but got caught carying a bunch of booze in an airplane, and got a civilian job still working for the navy. He died of cancer a few years before I was born.

I also have a Maternal Great Uncle, who was in the navy. He was on one of the ships at pear harbor, and survived. He was on one of the ships that were attacked, but this is all I know of his military career.

These are the only relatives that I know served in WWII.
Back to top Go down
http://www.epol.forumotion.com
CoolKidX
CoolKidX

WW2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW2   WW2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Liche wrote:

My other grandpa ran away when he was 16, lied about his age and enlisted in the Navy. He was an Airplane mechanic in North Africa, were he got foot fungus and Malaria. I think he also served in the pacific after this. At the end of the war he got recomended for officer, but got caught carying a bunch of booze in an airplane, and got a civilian job still working for the navy. He died of cancer a few years before I was born.

Lol that's epic.
Back to top Go down
Liche
Liche

WW2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW2   WW2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 6:04 am

I guess. I like your grandma, lying to the SS. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.epol.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

WW2 Empty