World Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World Republic

Uniting All People!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tommy ricketts

Go down 
+2
mattabesta
Comrade Pollett
6 posters

Hero?
Yes
tommy ricketts Vote_lcap38%tommy ricketts Vote_rcap
 38% [ 3 ]
No
tommy ricketts Vote_lcap62%tommy ricketts Vote_rcap
 62% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Comrade Pollett
Experienced Party Member
Comrade Pollett

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 2:54 am

Back to top Go down
mattabesta
Chairman of the Supreme Council
mattabesta

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 am

who would say no?
Back to top Go down
http://Pichunter.com
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 3:31 am

What's so great about joining the army at 15?
Back to top Go down
Comrade Pollett
Experienced Party Member
Comrade Pollett

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 am

Pannekoek wrote:
What's so great about joining the army at 15?
its not only that, its also how brave he was
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 3:45 am

How was he brave?
Back to top Go down
Comrade Pollett
Experienced Party Member
Comrade Pollett

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 3:49 am

Pannekoek wrote:
How was he brave?
During the advance from Ledgehem the attack was temporarily held up by heavy hostile fire, and the platoon to which he belonged suffered severe casualties from the fire of a battery at point blank range. Private Ricketts at once volunteered to go forward with his Section Commander and a Lewis gun to attempt to outflank the battery. They advanced by short rushes while subject to severe fire from enemy machine guns.

When 300 yards away, their ammunition gave out. The enemy, seeing an opportunity to get their field guns away, began to bring up their gun teams. Private Ricketts at once realized the situation. He doubled back 100 yards, procured some ammunition and dashed back to the Lewis gun, and by very accurate fire drove the enemy and their gun teams into a farm. His platoon then advanced without casualties, and captured four field guns, four machine guns and eight prisoners. A fifth field gun was subsequently intercepted by fire and captured. By his presence of mind in anticipating the enemy intention and his utter disregard for personal safety, Private Ricketts secured the further supplies of ammunition which directly resulted in these important captures and undoubtedly saved many lives.
Back to top Go down
mattabesta
mattabesta

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 10:39 am

Pannekoek wrote:
How was he brave?

by being a heros dummy.
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 12:44 am

Wow, he secured ammunition, what a brave hero.
Back to top Go down
Comrade Pollett
Experienced Party Member
Comrade Pollett

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 am

Pannekoek wrote:
Wow, he secured ammunition, what a brave hero.
its something you have to be lectured on
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:20 am

So who's going to lecture me? Personally I think people who join the army are retarded.
Back to top Go down
Comrade Pollett
Experienced Party Member
Comrade Pollett

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 2:39 am

Pannekoek wrote:
So who's going to lecture me? Personally I think people who join the army are retarded.
then vote no
Back to top Go down
oligarch
Chairman of the WR Committee
oligarch

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 2:47 am

Not that what he did wasn't necessarily unheroic but I wouldn't exactly call him a hero.
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:03 am

Yeah, I agree with "olriac". But I voted yes accidentally before I read the thing.
Back to top Go down
Renegade_Kautsky
Worker of the World Republic
Renegade_Kautsky

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 7:01 am

When you look at world war one, there isn't much "heroism" at all. 4 years of trench warfare, chemical weapons, and carnage all for the reason maintaining a favorable power balance in Europe. We shouldn't glorify that.
Back to top Go down
mattabesta
mattabesta

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
When you look at world war one, there isn't much "heroism" at all. 4 years of trench warfare, chemical weapons, and carnage all for the reason maintaining a favorable power balance in Europe. We shouldn't glorify that.

ww1 was an imperial war, the lats imperial war.
Back to top Go down
oligarch
oligarch

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 10:28 pm

mattabesta wrote:

ww1 was an imperial war, the lats imperial war.

Not by any means.
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 pm

WWI was the last reasonable war, fought against the Nazis. All others since are been imperialist.
Back to top Go down
oligarch
oligarch

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Seriously?
Back to top Go down
Watermelon
ZEK in siberian gulag

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 11:05 pm

Sarcasm or not I can't tell really.
Back to top Go down
Comrade Pollett
Experienced Party Member
Comrade Pollett

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:04 am

Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Even Brave SS solders (if they did not commit war crimes) were heroes
however from what i can tell world war one was also a struggle of Independence for the western Balkans.
Back to top Go down
revolution
Member of the WR Committee
revolution

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 am

Pannekoek wrote:

WTF?! This forum probably wouldn't exist because no one would have joined the Red Army and communism would have been destroyed by the Nazis. Where is your rational thought?
Back to top Go down
revolution
revolution

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:16 am

He captured ammo. So did Hitler.
Back to top Go down
Comrade Pollett
Experienced Party Member
Comrade Pollett

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:24 am

kahnsguard wrote:
well he can be considered brave, besides proving that wrong when he killed himself rather then take on Stalin.
Back to top Go down
revolution
revolution

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 3:40 am

Comrade Pollett wrote:
kahnsguard wrote:
well he can be considered brave, besides proving that wrong when he killed himself rather then take on Stalin.

I'm speaking of WWI.
Back to top Go down
Renegade_Kautsky
Worker of the World Republic
Renegade_Kautsky

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 6:51 am

Comrade Pollett wrote:
Renegade_Kautsky wrote:
Even Brave SS solders (if they did not commit war crimes) were heroes
however from what i can tell world war one was also a struggle of Independence for the western Balkans.

Look, I'm not sure how to put this, so I'll say it bluntly.

Being a de-humanized killing machine (which all professional soldiers are) for any cause doesn't make you a hero. Building up a high body count doesn't make you a hero. Leading a charge to kill tonnes of people doesn't make you a hero. "Heroes" are people who make a great personal sacrifice to help a larger group of people. I don't mean someone who "helps" his people by killing "their" people.

As far WWI goes, it wasn't about Balkans independence. Why do you think Russia, Germany, England, and France got involved? Loyalty to their Serbian/Austrian allies? Of course not. They used the system of alliances as an excuse to conquer greater parts of Europe. The United States only got involved because J.P. Morgan lobbied the U.S. Congress to aid the British and French. And that was because the British and the French owed J.P. Morgan large amounts of money they had borrowed for the war.

It was an imperialist war, nothing more. The Lib-Dems even admit that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tommy ricketts Empty
PostSubject: Re: tommy ricketts   tommy ricketts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tommy ricketts
Page 1 of 1